A delicious combination of our French charcuterie chorizo with a rich tomato and basil sauce. Perfect for a dinner for two or a light lunch for up to four.
You will need
2x sauce pans
1x non stick pan
1x hand blender
1L Tomato Passata
1 White Onion
1 Pack of Potato Gnocchi
25g Tomato Puree
50g Brown Sugar
125g White wine Vinegar
200ml Chicken Stock
1 Bunch of Fresh Basil
2 Cloves of Garlic
Pinch of Oregano
100g Olive Oil
1. Dice Onion and slice Chorizo (removing the skin)
2. Heat pan with a little oil, add onions and garlic and cook till the onions are soft, add 25g tomato puree, 50g sugar and 125g vinegar to the pan.
3. Once the sugar has all been mixed in add 1ltr Tomato Passata to the pan and 200ml chicken stock mix well and let cook for 7 to 10 mins.
4. In a separate pot, heat 1 pint of water and bring to the boil, add salt , once the water is boiling add the Gnocchi to the water, when the Gnocchi starts to float remove the pot from the stove and drain into a sieve, then cool with cold water.
5. Remove the tomato sauce from the stove and add basil and Oregano then blitz with a hand blender. Pass the sauce through a sieve then back into the pan and return to the heat, add 100g olive oil and blitz again until it begins to emulsify.
6. Add a drizzle of olive oil to a non-stick frying pan, add all your Chorizo, let this cook for 5 minutes turning as required. Once the Chorizo has a reasonable amount of char remove the Gnocchi from the cold water and add the Gnocchi to the pan with the Chorizo.
7. Add the Tomato and basil sauce, mix and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Remove from pan and place in a pasta bowl, grate fresh parmesan, add fresh basil and a little olive oil to finish.