A delicious dish making the most of seasonal ingredients. Our in house chef, Graham, has created this dish using foraged wild garlic and PGI Scotch Lamb for a sensational pairing!
Wild garlic is at its peak between March and May and can be found in wet woodlands. Its delicate garlic flavour is mellow and makes a delicious addition to locally sourced Scottish lamb. If you haven’t foraged before speak to your local greengrocer as they may be able to source for you.
PGI Scotch Lamb
We are passionate about provenance, that is why we ensure that all the lamb we source is Scotch PGI. By ensuring we only source Scottish PGI lamb, we know that from Farm-to-Fork, the lamb we sell is fully traceable.
Roast Leg of Lamb With Wild Garlic Pesto
1 – 2kg Leg of Lamb
2 cloves of garlic
1 sprig of rosemary
Wild Garlic Pesto
150g fresh basil
100g wild garlic
100g fresh parsley
2 cloves of garlic
50g nuts (Pine nuts, walnuts or hazelnuts)
100g parmesan cheese or a hard goats cheese.
For the Wild Garlic Pesto
- Wash the wild garlic in saltwater and leave for half an hour in the water.
- Rinse your basil and parsley in cold water to remove any dirt.
- Add your herbs, wild garlic and other ingredients to your blender
- Blitz until smooth.
For The Roast Lamb
- Season your leg of lamb with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Pre-heat your roasting tray by adding a layer of vegetable oil, and heating on a medium heat gas ring.
- Once the roasting tray is nice and hot, place your leg of lamb into the oil. Turn every few minutes until each side is beginning to brown and crisp.
- Add some roughly chopped carrots, leeks, onion, garlic and rosemary to the tray and add 100ml of water.
- Preheat your oven till it reaches 220 then place your lamb in the oven for 20mins then turn down to 190 for the remaining cooking time.
- Once your lamb is ready, remove it from the oven then cover it with tin foil while resting.
Cooking Time for Size Variations
1kilo leg of lamb 40 mins plus 20 mins resting time. Oven at 220c.
2kilo leg of lamb 65 mins plus 20 mins resting time. Oven at 220c.
Serve the lamb with the wild garlic pesto, seasonal vegetable and roast potatoes for a delicious Easter Lunch.