Balmoral Chicken, a culinary creation fit for royalty. Inspired by the Balmoral Castle in Aberdeenshire, this dish combines succulent chicken, earthy haggis, and a velvety whisky sauce, creating a harmony of flavours that is nothing short of majestic. Join us on a culinary journey as we explore the allure of Balmoral Chicken and share a delectable recipe for you to recreate this royal treat in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Recipe: Balmoral Chicken
– 4 boneless, skinless, locally sourced British chicken breasts
– Salt and black pepper, to taste
– 200g Puddledub haggis, crumbled
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1/2 cup chicken stock
– 1/4 cup heavy cream
– 2 tablespoons whisky
– Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
1. Prepare the Chicken:
– Preheat your oven to 180°C
– Season the chicken breasts with salt and black pepper on both sides.
– Carefully cut a pocket into each chicken breast, ensuring not to cut through the other side.
2. Stuff the Chicken:
– Stuff each chicken breast with the crumbled haggis, pressing gently to seal the pocket.
– Secure the openings with toothpicks to prevent the stuffing from falling out during cooking.
3. Sear the Chicken:
– Heat olive oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
– Add the stuffed chicken breasts and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
4. Prepare the Sauce:
– Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
– Pour the chicken stock, heavy cream, and whisky into the skillet, stirring to combine.
– Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer, allowing it to thicken slightly for about 2-3 minutes.
5. Bake the Chicken:
– Return the seared chicken breasts to the skillet, spooning some of the sauce over the top.
– Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the centre.
6. Serve and Enjoy:
– Remove the toothpicks from the chicken and discard.
– Garnish the Balmoral Chicken with freshly chopped parsley.
– Serve hot, drizzled with the whisky sauce, and accompanied by your favourite side dishes, such as mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables.
Balmoral Chicken is a testament to the artistry of Scottish cuisine, marrying the rustic charm of haggis with the sophistication of whisky-infused cream sauce. With its rich flavours and elegant presentation, this dish is perfect for special occasions or when you simply want to treat yourself to a taste of royalty. Embrace the culinary legacy of Scotland by preparing Balmoral Chicken and elevate your dining experience to new heights, savouring each bite of this regal masterpiece.