This is a great dish to prepare, and tastes great both hot or cold!
3 kg piece of Belly Pork without bones
15g sea salt
6 grinds of black pepper
Generous sprigs of fresh thyme, rosemary and sage, all roughly chopped.
6 cloves of garlic crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
6 tbsp honey
Juice of 3 lemons
- Preheat the oven to a high temperature.
- Place the rolled-out piece of belly, with the skin side down, on your work surface. Sprinkle most of the salt and a few grinds of black pepper evenly over the meat. Allow it to rest for a few minutes.
- Rub the crushed garlic into the meat and generously scatter the roughly chopped herbs over it.
- Roll the meat up tightly and secure it with separate pieces of string, tying along the length.
- Massage the olive oil into the meat and sprinkle the remainder of the salt and pepper over it.
- Transfer the meat to a roasting tin and roast in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Then, reduce the oven temperature to 150°C (gas mark 2), cover the meat with foil, and continue roasting for 3 to 4 hours. Baste the meat occasionally with the pan juices.
- During the last half hour of cooking, drizzle the honey and lemon juice over the meat.
- Once cooked, allow the meat to rest before slicing and serving.
Once cooked, remove the pork to a board and with a wooden spoon, scrape up the juices, adding a little water to create a sauce. Strain and adjust for seasoning, adding some more lemon juice if necessary.
. This pairs wonderfully with creamy mashed potatoes or buttered pasta, and can be complemented by a crisp green salad or a medley of fresh vegetables.