This recipe uses Puddledub leg of pork, a beautiful, lean and tender cut of meat. The chilli can be scaled up or down depending on your taste and we use ½ fat crème fraiche to reduce calories, but not flavour.
Spicy Puddledub Pork & Red Pepper Goulash
300g Puddledub casserole pork
1 small red onion - sliced
1 red pepper - diced
2 cloves garlic - chopped
¼ tsp caraway seed
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp sweet paprika
1 tbsp smoked paprika
½ tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp ½ fat crème fraiche
1. Heat ½ of oil in a heavy based casserole on a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, cook for a few minutes until softened, then add the diced pepper. Increase the heat to lightly brown the vegetables.
2. Remove the vegetables to a bowl and deglaze the pan with a little water. Tip into the vegetables.
3. Re heat the pan on a high heat, add the remaining oil and brown the pork for a few minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the paprika. Cook for 1 min, stirring continuously, add the vegetables back to the pan. Add the tomatoes, caraway and chilli flakes if using.
4. Stir well, bring to a simmer, cover and cook slowly for 1 ½ hours or until the meat is tender.
5. To thicken the sauce, remove the meat and as many of the vegetables as possible. Boil the sauce until it has reduced by about half. Add the meat back to the casserole, adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve with a spoonful of ½ fat crème fraiche.